Google Analytics not tracking all conversions?
Over the past 2-3 months we’ve seen a rise in Google analytics questions from customers and site visitors. It seemed to happen around the time of the GDPR update (could be a coincidence).
So we thought we’d do a quick post about it in case you are also having problems with being able to track all sales conversions from either Adwords/organic to your Analytics account.
So what are the commonly reported problems for Analytics not tracking all conversions?
Out of about 5 different sites we’ve analysed they all shared one commonality, about 40% of their conversions are NOT being tracked. They not all running on the same platform 2 were Magento *which has reported issues 2 were WordPress and the last one was a custom site.
What to look out for if you don’t think you’re seeing all conversions in Analytics
- Check adwords conversions do the number of conversions reported in Adwords over a chosen date rate match up with what your Analytics is reporting?
- Have your sales/enquiries dropped based on your internal reporting data?
Things you can do to fix your Google Analytics conversions tracking
- Make sure your tracking code for GA is still active and correct on your site
- Install the free Chrome extension for checking Google tags on your site
- Check your site for multiple end pages. For example make sure you don’t have more than one success page
- Reinstall the code from fresh
- Make sure your GA account is linked to your Adwords account
I have done all that but it’s still not tracking all conversions what do I do next?
Well you could call Google support like we did for 5 days and spend 7 hours going over the issues but….If it’s anything like our experience after exhausting all avenues the support specialist said there was no more they could do to assist and have a good day! GREAT!
If you think your Google Analytics is not tracking all conversions reach out to us and we will see what we can do for you.
Tom Peary is the director of SEO21 Ltd. Offering SEO, Website Design, Digital Marketing, Google Places Optimisation, Guest Blogging, Copywriting and Link Building Services.